bread



I must have pinned this recipe on pinterest at least 4 times: Mark Bittman's no-knead bread originally from the New York Times and laid out in clear steps on simply so good. This takes less than 5 minutes to prepare, but it does take about 19 hours to be ready. It turns out really well.



When I made it, I didn't have very much white flour, so I used whole wheat. Then I realized my biggest, heaviest pot was already making stew and all the dough didn't  all fit in my mini copco cast iron pot, so I cut it in half and baked half the amount for ten minutes less. The remainder I kept in the fridge overnight. It all turned out fine, so it's a pretty resilient recipe.

I'm just reading about this same bread in the kitchen counter cooking school and found I have been measuring flour incorrectly my whole life. I scoop, then level. You must scoop with one cup, pour it into another, then level. Otherwise, you get too much flour in your recipes. My baking has always been a little bit dense — now I know why.

I covered my dough in olive oil and course salt and it was really good. I am going to try butter, oil and za'atar and see how that turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment